Next question, please

Today is probably the day I got asked about wedding plans the most number of times and in the most number of variations, from the most subtle "Kelan ba kayo lalagay sa tahimik?" to the most blunt "Kelan ba ang kasal?"

I don't know why, but it seems to me that the question is just as inevitable in family gatherings as lechon and leche flan. It's bearable when it's your family gathering. But it becomes a bit awkward when it's his family that asks you such a question that is rightfully his to answer.

I don't really mind, especially because Ronald's family is so flawlessly nice. But it would have been easier if it were a press conference. Because then my press statement could have been: "We do have plans. We are engaged and we have been talking about it. But I just don't have the details to share with you right now." But it's not. And so I've found that the only safe answer that you can give is a sweet smile. (Baka maudlot pa, a la Jolens and Bebong.) It's just that after some time, your jaw starts to tighten up from too much smiling. At this point, I look at Ronald to cue him that it's his turn to smile.

What I have to understand though is why women get that question more often than men do. I guess it has a lot to do with women's biological clocks. I guess women who, like me, are not getting any younger, walk around like ticking time bombs while men, like wine, get better as they age. But it doesn't really bother me, because I plan to age the way Demi Moore and Salma Hayek are doing it.

Back to the big question. At the end of the day, I concede that despite all the wedding queries that I got, it was still Ronald who was the bigger winner of the day. After all, you don't get asked the question by your fiancee's father every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment